Fire do more than just damage buildings and homes. They cause quite a bit of emotional distress as well. If you are a victim of fire or are helping one, you personally understand the grief, anxiety, and helplessness that can result. Treasured items such as pictures, heirlooms, and keepsakes are often priceless. While other items such as important documents, work files, and certificates require tedious efforts to replace. Furthermore, one’s sense of security can wane after a destructive fire leading to a wide range of reactionary emotions.
How can you recover from the flurry of emotions that can come upon you after a major fire? Below are some proven tips that may help you to do so.
Coping & Recovering
Never underestimate the stress and challenges that can come with evacuating, relocating, and rebuild your life after a major fire. It is often better to plan each stage in small step so that you do not become overwhelmed easily. Recovering from a major fire usually requires time, so prep yourself mentally to be patient. Additionally, consider the following:
- Try to get a good amount of rest every day. Stress is compounded when your sleep pattern is altered.
- Avoid turning to alcohol or other mood-altering drinks or drugs (unless they are prescribed by your physician).
- Make use of family and community support. When you have an opportunity talk to a listening ear about your experience. Also, listening to others who have had similar disasters may give you a different perspective about your tragedy.
- Exercise, meditate or involve yourself in a hobby during waiting periods (times when you cannot advance your recovery project). Doing so will help you to avoid worrying about your situation.
- Never try to suppress how you feel. If you need to cry, do so. Just try to figure out healthy and helpful ways to release or redirect your emotions.
Over the years, we have aided several families and businesses with fire disaster recoveries. Are you experiencing the effects of a life changing fire? Give us a call. ACR Services DKI is available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. (866) 789-4379